Tuesday 3 January 2012

I've got my socks!!!

With a million other people I went over the new Westfield shopping centre in East London  to get my socks, the water sterilizing solution and as I was there a couple of other bits I wasn't intending to get .... you know what they say ...."the flesh is weak" and there is always those pair of trousers you really needed! 


My old girl, Trinket,  has gone to the cattery today,I didn't like it leaving her there, she looked so old and frail.... Trinket is really sweet and she is good company but lately she has lost a lot of mobility - she is nearly 17, a ripe age for a cat as it is the equivalent to a human in their 80s. You know what? Thinking about it, what would you rather do if you were a cat? being in the cattery with the young ones, or being with boring old Blanca who goes to work every day and leaves her alone in the house with radio 4!!


I think yesterday I shared our just giving page,but didn't mention the other work we want to support with this trip. In addition to raising money for Macmillan Cancer Support, we would love to raise some money to help support Ecuatorian children in need. Andean Face, the people we are going to climb Chimborazo and Cotopaxi strongly believe that tourism should help the local people of the areas that they visit and have started a  voluntary work programs for school groups in different mountain regions of Ecuador and also work closely with Danielle Children's Fund who work with street children. Just Giving is only for UK based charities, so if you would like to support us support Ecuatorian children in need post a comment and we'll figure out what to do.


The other seriously exciting thing to share is that we have sorted out the bikes for the Quilotoa loop. The Ecuador Freedom Bikes will rent us the bikes.  After talking to them via Skype, I found out that only one of the bikes has a rack. The shop guy suggested we brought a rack from England to install on the second bike - can you imagine carrying the old rack I have in my shed all the way to Ecuador?? I don't think so! Instead we have decided to take two panniers and take turns riding the loaded bike. I'll tell you how that plan pans out. One bit I am looking forward to is getting from Quito to Latacunga, the start point of our cycle ride, on the bus, apparently for $1.00 someone hoists the bike onto the roof of the bus! I'll make sure to post some photos of the process.


I'm getting a lift to the train station which is fantastic as I need to be at Gatwick airport for 6.15am on Thursday. I'm beginning to feel butterflies in my stomach!!






1 comment:

  1. will be following your blog Blanca. Do I donate to the Ecuador charities on their websites?

    Looking forward to all the adventures!!!

    ReplyDelete